Welcome ...
This blog has been created to allow family and friends to share in and become part of the experience of 'Down at the Farm'.
Enjoy the children, their love for each other and their open hearted wonder and excitement.
Over time you will get to know the farm through their eyes and will see how they spend their day with each other in a very rich, organic way.
Each vignette is a snapshot in time. Follow from one to another, then on to more and you can share in our unfoldment and journey.
Enjoy your visit ...

Monday, March 1, 2010

Listen with all your senses ...

Last week, when I first saw Monique on Wednesday, she was peeking out from under her sun hat when I said hello and she shyly and demurely said, 'Hello'.  At the same time, she held up her left hand near her shoulder with four fingers in the air.  While we said our hellos, the four fingers stayed there and she couldn't help but smile when I noticed.  She was swinging her skirt and smiling away and kind nudging my attention in the direction of her hand.  I got it.  Those four little fingers in the air were saying, 'Hey danella, remember how you told you about my birthday... ...and how I'm four... ...and how exciting it's been to know each day from Mum that I'm still four... ... ...well it gets even better.  I'm still four today!!!' 

To me, Monique was instinctively counting on me to have really meant it when in a few moments in earlier weeks, I'd shared my excitement for her milestone... ...and counting on me to have remembered, four fingers and a big smile was all that was needed.

If we really listen with all our senses and our hearts, it's easy to hear what children are saying.  The more you get to know the unique gem that each one is, the easier it gets.

No comments: